Friday, July 17, 2020

THE VOICE MAGAZINE AT 9 – FOR THESE WE THANK THEE

Old English can be so…well, old school.. for young people. Not that they encounter it every day. Everything, from the Bible to Shakespeare, has been young field and funkified to their youthful satisfaction.



They therefore don’t have to bother their pretty young heads with deciphering the ‘Thees’, ‘Thines’ and ‘Thys’. But every now and then, a young person stumbles over a few ‘ye’ and ‘yore’. My three year old boy did recently.

While growing up, I have heard my father praying with this proper old English, sounding like one of those people who studied Classic and Latin back in the day. His prayer was long and rich, but I seemed only to hear “for these, we thank Thee, O Lord.

This phrase has resonated in my head all week and it behooves on me to say this to Thee and to all who have been shouldering us.

Nobody rise in isolation. You either need the help of one person or more to rise to the top. You and I know that starting a business in Nigeria of ours is very tedious. We don’t have favorable factors that can make businesses to grow and expand.

This year mark exactly nine years when we started this journey. It has been rough, though. The future looks so scary but the hope of better tomorrow keeps me going. On many occasion I have gone on hunger in order to published edition.
I lost count of days I walked bear footed from 1 kilometer to about 5kilometers in search of story and those that will sponsor the edition. The journey have been so rocky, in spite of all these, I kept the hope alive.

In the course of the journey, I met Oba Samuel Ojugbele, the Onilogbo of Ilogbo-Asowo, Ogun State. He gave me his word that he will support my dream. In his word to me “I am so glad to see a young man like you striving to survive in this country, I am assuring you of my support anytime”.
Indeed Oba Ojugbele did make do of his promise till now. The greatest asset that I have in life is people. God have been so faithful to me for blessing me with notable people that believe much in my dream.

In the year 2014, I wanted to quit, I went to meet a brother friend, who was a banker at Wemabank. I appealed to him to get me a job in his Bank or elsewhere. His response to me was shocking, Mr Yomi Onafadeji told me that, Damilola even if he have the opportunity to get me a job, he will not do it but rather I should continue in the pursuit of my publication, he went further by saying, one day I will say I know when you start. I was vehemently disappointed with his word.

Mr. Yomi, thank you for that strong advice that year. God bless you. The Voice Magazine won’t have gone far if not for the support of notable personalities that allow God to use them for us.

On our lists are, Oba Wasiu Ogungbayi, the Onitetiku of Owode-Ota, Otunba Olumide Akinbinu(Principal Counsel Olumide Akinbinu & Co), Pastor Kehinde Ojo (Chairman, Royal Crest Group of Schools), Alhaji Ibitoye Malik (Chairman Yemoja Media Corp), Surveyor Bunmi Odunuga (FNIS), Engr Adegboye Taiwo (FNSE), Oba Sesan ogunmuyiwa.  Elder. Gbenga Olowo(Chairman Sabre Aviation Network), Mr. Emmanuel Olusola((Country Director, Sabre Aviation Network), High Chief Kabiru Ayoola Oroja, Asipa of Meran, Chief Adegoke Adehsina (General Manager of Intercontinental Distillers Ltd), Mr. Bolaji Alalade(Head of Marketing Intercontinental Distillers Ltd), Mr. Gbemileke Lawal (Brand Manager Intercontinental Distillers Ltd),
Late Revd. Pa. James Owoyemi, All Owode-Ota Council of Chiefs, CSP Yinka Egbeyemi (Chairman, Lagos State Taskforce), CSP Salabiu Jamiu (2ic of Mopol 20, Epe), Messr Sola Ojutalayo SAN, all members of Nigeria Bar Asociation, Ota Branch, Cdr Ajibade Adekunle (Area 4 Commander of TRACE), Mr. Babatunde Akinbiyi (PRO Ogun TRACE).

Today, The Voice Magazine that started in my room apartment, presently uses four bedrooms as her corporate office with staffs. We have become household name in the comity of media, for these, “I thank Thee”. Not that we have achieve all, we are still far from  where we are going, we know He who has brought us this far will still take us to the Zenith.

We are planning to open our online television station by December 1st,   “DAMA TV” with God and your help, this is achievable. To all our readers, supporters, notable personalities on THE VOICE MAG TEAM WHATSAPP PLATFORM, we are grateful.

For the journey of 9years in media industry, “for These, I thank Thee”.  

Otunba Oladele Damilola Moses,
Publisher                    

No comments:

Post a Comment