Wednesday, April 21, 2021

LION MUSTAPHA AJELARA CLOCKS 40; EMPOWER WIDOWS, LESS PRIVILEGE SAYS, HE WAS BORN IN A POOR FAMILY



Congratulations at 40, tell us a bit about yourself?

Thank you my great Lion. I am Lion Mustapha Ajelara from Sagamu Local Government, Ogun State. I was born in Mushin but grew up in Oshodi, Lagos State. My mother did not want me to grow up in Mushin because Mushin was so porous, so when I was one year old, she relocated to Oshodi. After sometimes, my parents relocated again from Oshodi toAgege also from there to Sango-Ota, Ogun State. I am a business man; I am into hospitality and petroleum products. I own and manage Petrol Filling Stations, I have and equally manage Hotels and Bars, to the glory of God, I am the CEO of Ajelara 214 Global Ltd. Presently, I am the 20th President of Ota Diamond Lions Club District 404.

Tell us about your Educational background

I went to State Primary School in Oshodi, after the completion of my primary education, I proceeded to Bolade Grammar School, Oshodi.  I gained admission into Federal College of Education, Osiele, Abeokuta, Ogun State for my Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE). I also obtained my Bachelor of Science in Education from University of Nigeria, Nsukka. Presently, I am a student of Walden University, United Kingdom for my Master’s Degree 


When did you get into the Business?

I got into the business at the age of 13; I was in the Junior Secondary School 1then. I am from the poor family. Seven of us including my parents were living in a room apartment at Oshodi. It was so hard for my parent to provide for all our needs. I need to let you know that it was my grandmother that was sponsoring the education of my elder brothers. Adding my own educational expenses to her burden will be too onerous so I took my destiny into my hands. I started hawking Gala, shower caps; handkerchiefs after the closing of the school in Oshodi, Ojuwoye Mushin, Airport road, etc. I used this to finance my education from Secondary level to my NCE. What really help me were the goals that I set for myself. I read books on financial education and on how to be financially free.

To run or sustain businesses in Nigeria today, one have to either borrow from bank or have someone that is ready to finance such business, could this be true about you?

I have never borrowed money from bank or anybody to run my business. I follow what I read in some of the financial books that I have read which is saving. The books teach the culture of savings, so I started saving 90% of my salary on monthly basis. Because, immediately I completed my NCE, I started working as a teacher in different schools and I was collecting salary, not only that, I got involves in home teaching which equally bring me money. I learned not to spend frivolously; most times I will trek barefooted just to save. While I was teaching, I am running the business of buying and selling, this time now, I am into importing of clothes from China. I got this business idea through internet. I will order for the good and they will send it to me, though, I have a brother there, Mr. Seyi Ajelara who is helping me to monitor the importation. I was into this importation business for years before I officially registered my company Ajelara 214 Global Ltd in the year 2014.

As a Business man, can you tell us the challenges you have experience and how you have been able to confront them?

Building a company or an organization involves many things. There are different challenges that we have faced, among few of them are, management of workers. This is major challenges that have confronted us; many of the staffs don’t share or believe in the vision and dream of the company. If you are not with them, they will busy doing other things, some work only when you are there. Some are ready to ruin the company through their laziness or by connive with others to steal the company money and products. Another factor that is affecting business is the government policies. Just yesterday, I got a letter that beginning from May 1st, the prices of the drinks will increase. High rate of taxation, economic factors are killing many businesses today yet, we thank God that we are surviving.

You are the 20th President of Ota Diamond Lions Club, since when have you joined the club and can you tell us your achievements as a President.

I got to hear about Lions Club in the year 2016 when they came for a retreat in my hotel. My vision and dream is to help the needy. So when I heard that Lions Club is an international organization that caters for the needy and also contributes to the society, I thought within myself that I have found the best organization that I can join. Lions club is into two things, helping the needy by providing for their needs and equally train the people on how to be self-reliance.

I did not hesitate to join this great and noble organization. My election to the office of the president of the club is base on my activities and performances in the club. Lion Club requires three things from you as a member, which are Time, Treasure and Talent. When the elders of the club observe that I have committed myself to the growth and expansion of the club with my three Ts (Time, Talent and Treasure) so when the position of the President was vacant, I was elected to be the 20th President of the Club.

Lion’s Club President Term in office is just one year. Within this period, you must carry out some activities as stipulated by the Lion’s Club International. Whatever achievement we might record during my tenure is base on the lay down goals that my predecessors have put in place. Take for instance, this our Club house has been existing for years, the only few things my tenure add to it was to beautify it. Initially, it’s meant for a gym centre but we later add the bar centre to it so as to be a source of income to the club. We also add a skills acquisition centre where we train youths on how to be self-employed. 

We have carried out diabetes and catarrh test and provided drugs for the affected people. We have provided eye glasses, Walking stick, and wheel chairs for the disable. To the glory of God Ota Diamond Clubs have carried out different activities within this Lion’s year 2020/2021.

How is life at 40?

Well, I give God the glory. I have achieved all my set goals for the age of 40. I will have to start setting up other goals as I start another journey because as they do say, life begins at 40. 

Let’s talk about your wife, when did you married

I married in the year 2008. I thank God for my wife. Thank God I did not marry a wrong person. My wife remains one of the few persons that believe much in me.

Your advice to the youth

Youth should be focus, set goals, and believe in God and prayers. Hold your destiny into your hands as you are the architect of your own fortune.   

  


1 comment:

  1. Kareem rofiat ajokeadeApril 22, 2021 at 10:48 PM

    Wow am really impressed sir
    U don't let ur background discourage u
    I learn a lot from ur story
    May Allah continue blessing u Ameen

    ReplyDelete