Tuesday, December 10, 2019

OLOTA DID NOT OPPOSE MY UPGRADING TO OBASHIP STATUS – OBA ADEWUNMI



Oba Adeniji Okanlawon Adewunmi is the Onibudo of Ayetoro Ibudo of Ado-Odo/Ota Local Government area of Ogun State. He is a philanthropist, a son of God who gives his all to humanity. He has on his list over 30 students that he is paying their school fees. Kabiyesi has empowered many youths that are into artisan work. Kabiyesi a foundation that discovers and nurture talents to maximum level. Recently, the editor paid him a visit in his palace to have a brief discussion with Alayeluwa, here is the excerpts:
Who is Oba Adeniji Adewunmi?
Oba Adeniji Okanlawon Adewunmi is a gentle man, a policy man that believe in Justice for all, because, we are all equal before God. I am the first Oba in Ayetoro of Ado-Odo/Ota Local Government of Ogun State. 
Your Educational Background?
I am a graduate of Computer Science from Lagos State University. I had my primary school education at St. Georges School, Ipaja and my secondary school at Anglican Comprehensive High School, Ipaja. Currently, I am undergoing my M.A in Yoruba at Lagos State University.
Your experience so far as an Oba ?
Well, it has been so interesting. You know before I became an Oba, I was once a Baale. I have been a Baale for four years before my upgrading to the position of an Oba. After the death of my father, the late Baale Odutala. He was the 8th Baale of this town. After his demised in 2015. The family had a meeting to appoint a new Baale. The result of their meeting was that I will be the next Baale.
Do they just appoint you or there was an election?
Yes, 12 of us were nominated. Cuts in: so you won through Vote?
Well, the elders know how they came about me as the Baale. But what I later heard was that the elders made some spiritual consultations and the amazing part of it was that I am the only one that came out best out of the 12 candidates. On a particular day, the elders summoned me to a meeting where they announced to me that I am the next Baale of the town. I don't believe them because initially, I am not interested and I equally have my own candidate that I am supporting to be the next Baale but the elders insisted that I am the preferred candidate, their conclusion of having me as a Baale was against my wish.
Another interesting thing about my chosen as a Baale was that when I was presented to the community, the whole community was happy that their choice candidate was chosen. Cuts in: have you been campaigning before or you have involves yourself in humanitarian services to the community?
Well, just as I told you before, it was not in my plan to be a Baale or an Oba, so I never campaign or seek for any favour from people. But on the issue of contributing my quota to the development of the town, to the glory of God, I have been doing that before the death of my father. I contribute the little I could for people's benefit. So I think that could be the reason of their joy.
In order to discourage the elders, I had to traveled out of the country but yet they kept on calling me to come and take up the stool. To the glory of God, I was installed in 2015.
As regards the issue of Obaship status, my late Dad has already perfect all the processes before he died, so I know that anybody that becomes the Baale will definitely becomes an Oba one day, this is what I am today.
Lets talk about your relationship with Olota?
Olota of Otta, Oba Prof Adeyemi Obalanlege is the first Oba in this our local government. He is a father, a friend and king that loves his fellow kings, his subjects. Kabiyesi is an Oba that always seeks for the development of the whole Ado-Odo.Ota Local government. As a matter of facts, I was the first Baale in this local government that visited him when he was at Ipebi. I went there together with my chiefs. We met one of my father's there also, Oba Samuel Olufemi Ojugbele, the Onilogbo of Ilogbo-Asowo, I was warmly welcome and prayed for by the Kabiyesis and Olota in Council. I need to say this Oba Obalanlege is a good father, he did not opposed my upgrading to Obaship status when he was consulted.
Your Challenges?
The challenges are enormous among them is the issue of this road. Our roads are terribly bad, it is a deathtrap. From my town to Otta is just 10minutes but unfortunately is now one hour plus even sometimes, we have to go through Ayobo, Lagos before we can enter Otta.. Presently, I am trying my best to provide a palliative because as a traditional ruler, we are to support government in any way we can, so I am trying to do that now so that it will be motorable for the road users. Another challenge is the youths. Before I became a Baale, the youths are not that doing fine, little education, those that want to go to school there is financial backup, nobody to cater for some that want to go into artisan. Few graduates are unable to secure a job. So immediately I ascended the throne, I had to take up the challenges. I first called a meeting to know each youth's problem and to know how we can proffer solution to it. To the glory of God today, I have been able to enroll some of them into the school and equally enrolled those that want to go into artisan. I have a foundation wherein we discover talents and nurture them. I have a football tournament that we organize annually. On the issues of those that are seeking for job, I was able to speak with some of my friends and few of them are gainfully employed now.
Another issue is the challenges of armed robbery and some of these criminals. You know our proximity to Lagos and also due to the facts that Lagos State has chased some of these criminals; they ran to Ayetoro here and make this town their base. As a leader, I can't withstand the agony and pains of my people when these hoodlums attacked them. So, I have to organized Vigilante and OPC to start combing the town. I do go out in the night with at times; I am doing this so that my people's lives and properties could be saved. I equally write and visit the Inspector General of Police (IGP) in Abuja. The IGP was so happy that a King like me could rise to defend my subject. He gave us Special Tactical Squared (STS). They resumed two months ago, I am currently build a police station in the town to accommodate them. I commend the efforts of Itele Police Division, they always rise to our call but just because of the bad roads at times the robbers would have gone before they arrived.
You as a Christian,  and a child of God how is your relationship with other religion. ?       
Very cordial. Annually, I joined my Muslim subjects to observed Ramadan and not only that, on daily basis I organized Ramadan lecture here in my palace and always provide the evening food for them. There is nothing they invites me that me that I don't go. We do join to pray for the development of this community.
Many people see Obas as idol worshipers, are true is this?
That is very bad. Not all Obas are idol worshipers. We have child of God. 
Your view abour Buhari’s government?
Let’s continue to pray for him and others in authority.
Your advice to the nation and your Community?
They should be law abiding, respect the authority and constitution of Nigeria. Don't do anything that will soil your name and that of your generation.
Thank you Kabiyesi for the opportunity
you are welcome my brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment