Wednesday, December 11, 2019

I WAS NOT INTERESTED IN PASTORAL WORK – BISHOP AKIN ATERE


The Right Revd. Dr. Johnson Akinwamide Atere, was one of the Bishops that were consecrated as Bishops of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) on May 18th, 2008 at Cathedral Church of St. James’, Okebola, Ibadan, Oyo State. He was sent to pioneer the newly created Missionary Diocese of Awori, Ota, the industrial hub of Ogun State then.
Before his election as the Bishop in the year 2008, Bishop Akin Atere was a lecturer at Archbishop Vinning College of Theology, Akure, Ondo State. He was once a teacher before he finally answered to God’s call in 1984. The editorial team of the Diocese recently cornered him at his Court on certain issues, here is the excerpt.
My Lord, you have been a bishop of this diocese for over 11years now, but some of your parishioners are yet to know you well, may we humbly meet your lordship sir?
Well, I am the Rt. Revd. (Dr.) Johnson Akinwamide Atere, by divine permission and the grace of God, the Lord Bishop, the Diocese of Awori, Otta, Ogun State. I was born some sixty-three years ago at a place called Oka-Akoko, Ondo State. My parents name were Mr. Zacheaus Teso and Mrs. Olufunke Atere. Though, I was brought up by my maternal grandmother, I started my primary education at St. Johns Anglican Primary School, Oka-Akoko, I also attended Modern School from the same town, By the grace of God, I was one of those who had the privilege of attending teacher’s training college during free education era at Owo, Ondo State.
I worked for some years and during the course of my teaching, I sat for WAEC and passed all my papers that also qualified me to teach in Secondary School, from there, I gained admission into Immanuel College of Theology in 1984 and graduated in 1987. I was posted to Lagos Diocese, from there; I had direct entry into University of Lagos later I was at the University of Ibadan for my Second degree.
I must sincerely appreciate my uncle, Chief Titus Ayewumi, who took care of all my education from primary to Seminary. He was a teacher
What led you to the pulpit?
Yes, for anyone to be on the pulpit, there must be a call, is not just that I want to be a pastor or Reverend. In my own case, it was unexpected, because I never dreamt of becoming a pastor. I ran away from it. All my ambition was to be a graduate teacher. Recalled, I told you that I started teaching immediately I finished from teacher’s training college. I taught at Ifira-Akoko for four years, posted to my former primary school, St. Johns, Oka-Akoko. Initially, my ambition in life was to pursue my career in order to be a better teacher. With this, I started writing JAMB, but what amazed me most was that, those that copied from me during the examination passed their papers, but I would failed. I can share the testimony anywhere.
Although, I have a gift of pastoring and that was identified at my youthful age. I joined the choir of my church at age of three, joined the boys brigade the same year, grew up under my maternal grandmother who loved the church and Christ. She introduced me to the church, infact, I spent my youthful age in the vineyard. I grew up to be a Choirmaster, Boys brigade Captain, Pastor’s Warden, Secretary to the Parish Church Council. I never wanted to be a pastor, so each time there was a selection conference within the Archdeaconry or Diocese, I will run away, I did this for many years. I give credit to my grandmother and late Ven. Rufus Ayejoto, the father of Ven. Chris Ola Ayejoto, who on Easter Sunday, when every selection process had been concluded, looked for an old form, gave it to me and said I should go and see Bishop Akeredolu at the Cathedral Church of St. Stephen, Ikare-Akoko because Bishop must worship at the Cathedral that day being an Easter Sunday. I was not happy, but I had another thought that the Bishop would not answer me because the selection had been concluded. I also had beard which I knew will even be one of the things to disqualify me. So, when I got to Ikare, I met the Bishop and I mentioned to him that I was from Ven. Ayejoto, he didn’t even say anything because Ven. Ayejoto was one of the respected Archdeacons then, and the Bishop collected the form from me and signed it and said I wish you all the best. Another amazing thing was that all the forms had been taken to Ibadan so I had to take the form to Ibadan personally.
I met the Registrar- the Ven. Akinlalu, I mentioned to him that I was from Ven. Ayejoto, immediately he heard that name, the Registrar just signed the form and registered my name, that was how I became a student of Immanuel. It was after few months that I started seeing the signs and hearing it myself that God wanted me to be a pastor.
How many years have you been in the ministry, My Lord Sir?
I became a deacon in 1987, priested in 1988, so altogether I have sent 32years in the ministry.
Can you please, my Lord, tell us the gospel behind your election as the Lord Bishop in Anglican Communion
No one can tell, though, everyone want to be at the pinnacle of his own career, but in the church there is no yardstick that qualifies you as a Bishop. Bishop in Anglican Communion is by election, when there is vacancy in any See, the Bishop throughout the church of Nigeria will come together and nominate at most four priests and the person whose vote counted more will be pronounced the Bishop, so how God did it, I don’t know, although, I dreamt of it.
My lord, you are the pioneer Bishop and missioner of this Diocese since 2008, can you tell us how the Diocese evolved, the challenges and how you were able to solve the challenges
Awori land was one of the first settlements for the early missionaries, but it is just unfortunate then that the people could not embraced Christianity, worst still is the fact that they could not even managed and maintained the leadership role, which was thereafter taken to Agege. But it could be noted that, the Awori Churches then (St. James) and others really worked by planting few churches both within Awori and Lagos but because of the financial constraints the leadership position was taken from them. The fore fathers of the church did their best, the church authority later gave them Archdeaconry seat. As part of evangelism, coupled with the fact the then Primate of the Church. Primate Akinola wanted to give the early missionary settlements a diocese, so since Awori was part of the early missionaries settlements, they were considered, and that was how the diocese emerged as a missionary diocese. 
On account of challenges faced. As a pioneer to any organization, you must not but face problems. The privilege I have was I had once worked here as a Vicar of St. Timothy and also worked in Lagos.
There was nothing on ground. When we resumed, we met 5priests, 3 of them later left because they were afraid of the future. We met seven churches with a place of worship; we met a rented apartment for the Bishop and a fairly used 4runner car as the official car. 
Our first assignment was to bring everybody together, which God really helped us on that. Our priority was to plant more churches. We also enjoyed the goodwill of people from Lagos Diocese. I enjoyed the cooperation of my people in Awori as well when they saw our sincerity. I equally thank God that I have a supportive woman as a wife. She didn’t demand much from me and she gives me all her support spiritually and otherwise. We also enjoy the joint the ventures of Diocese in Lagos.
Awori Diocese was among the missionary dioceses created in 2008. My Lord Sir, some of the Dioceses have merged while some are not well functioning but Awori is waxing stronger daily, can you tell us the secret sir?
The secret is just that we have been enjoying the prayers of people and their encouragement keeps us moving ahead. We also listen to God and obey His word. We equally receive help from people and our believe in God’s ability. I thank many people that have made the work easier for us, especially on land matters, Oba Ojugbele, late Chief Olakotan and Chief Ajasa and Ven. Adebayo (Rtd)
Can you highlight some of your achievements?
It is an eye saw. To the glory of God, we have over 50 churches, 40 priests, a befitting Bishop’s Court and many other beautiful achievements
The Diocese of 11years, some people believe that we should by now have at least 5 archdeaconries, but we only have one and 2 zones. Can you tell us the rationale behind this my Lord.
I take my time to do things. Presently we have sent letters to zones to be upgraded to Archdeaconry level, so gradually we will get there.
Can we meet Mama Awori.
Mama Awori is a God given mother, not a wife alone but a mother. She has been supporting me in my ministry, she knows what I can do, capable of doing and when am weak she encourages me, and so for my position today, I give credit to God and to her.
How are you planning for your successor my Lord
That is none of my business. That is the business of the Church of Nigeria house of Bishops. They are to elect whoever will take over from me. We are trying to go back to the old days when a See will be vacant before electing another bishop wherein there will be a Vicar general that will be overseeing the diocese. The idea of influencing the election of a successor by the outgoing bishop has been condemned by the house of Bishops. So, I can only pray for whoever that is coming to take over from me, but it is not my own to bring someone.
Thank you so much my lord for your time
 You are most welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment